Rice Alliance - 5th Annual Nanotechnology Venture Forum
"The Big Business of Small Technology"
Date: Friday, January 20, 2006
Location: McNair Hall, Rice University
Hosted by: Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship, CBEN, and the Richard E. Smalley Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology.
Over 500 individuals attended the 5th Annual Nanotechnology Venture Forum - the premier conference to learn about commercial applications of nanotechnology. The most promising early-stage nanotechnology-related companies were presented. Leading venture capitalists provided their feedback. Richard Booker discussed his new book, Nanotechnology for Dummies. Leading faculty presented their research on Nano-Gold, Nano-robots, and Nano-cars. Plus, Dr. Robert Curl co-recipient of the Novel Prize for the discovery of fullerenes (bucky balls) presented a special tribute to Dr. Rick Smalley.
The following presentations from the event are now available:
SPECIAL PRESENTATION Richard Booker, author of Nanotechnology for Dummies
TRIBUTE TO DR. RICK SMALLEY Dr. Robert Curl, Nobel Laureate
KEYNOTE ADDRESS Sean Murdock, NanoBusiness Alliance
A special thanks to our 5th Annual Nanotechnology Venture Forum Underwriter Winstead and Co-Host British Consulate-General, Houston!
Thanks to Deloitte for sponsoring the Forum's lunch.
9:00 AM - Registration
10:00 AM - Opening Keynote Address
Noon - Lunch & Networking
1:00 PM - Afternoon Keynote Address
New Venture Presentations & Investor Panel
5:15 PM - Nanotechnology Company Showcase & Networking Reception
Opening Keynote Address
- Candace Stuart, Editor-in-Chief, Small Times magazine - the leading magazine and source of business information for nanotechnology
Tech Briefings: Innovative Research in Nanotechnology
- Dr. Wade Adams "Nanotechnology at Rice University"
- Dr. Eugene Zubarev "Nano-Gold: The New Generation of Catalysts"
- Dr. Marcia O'Malley "Nanorobotic Manipulatio with Force Feedback"
- Dr. Kevin Kelly "Probing Molecular Mechanics, Driving Nanocars"
- Richard Booker Author, Nanotechnology for Dummies
- Dr. Robert Curl Special Tribute to Dr. Rick Smalley
Afternoon Keynote Address
- Sean Murdock, Executive Director, NanoBusiness Alliance - the leading industry association dedicated to the business of nanotechnology
Nanotechnology Company Presenters
- Southwest Nanotechnologies - single-wall carbon nanotube manufacturing
- Q-Flo - carbon nanotube enabled fibers
- Xidex - nanodevices for hte semiconductor industry
- Applied Nanotech Inc. - flat screen TV displays and other applications
- NanoBioMagnetics - drug delivery and biostable implants
- Zyvex - tools for molecular manufacturing
* Jim Von Ehr - a recognized national leader in the nanotech industry
Venture Capital / Investor Panel
- Paul Thurk, ARCH Venture Partners
- Dan Colbert, NGEN Partners
- David Moxam, Authentix, Inc.
- Daniel Wolfe, Harris & Harris Group
Thanks again to our Co-Host: British Consulate-General, Houston and Underwriter Winstead!
Lunch Sponsor: Deloitte
Media Sponsors: Houston Business Journal Small Times Magazine
Nanotechnology Law & Business
Supporting Organizations: Greater Houston Partnership
Houston Technology Center
Nanotechnology Foundation of Texas